Monday, October 08, 2007

The Loaf

I unexpectedly came across The Loaf Kuala Lumpur as I was coming down one of the escalators at the recently opened Pavilion.

Both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised and decided to check it out. I'm sure like us, you have heard much about this bakery due to its connection to our former prime minister, Dr Mahathir.

There was a good crowd there at about 4pm last Saturday and I believe, most of the breads have been sold out due to a few empty baskets on the shelves. I checked out their hand-crafted preservative-free jams and they all looked very good which made it all the harder for me to choose!

In the end, I left the choice to my husband who settled for the Sayuri Confiture which is a concoction of chunky fresh local pineapples with lavender (RM18.00).

We also quickly settled for a couple of Baguette Herb (RM6.60) and Brown Bread (RM15.80) since we had another appointment to keep at the Curve.

Sunday breakfast was an eye-opener of sorts. The confiture was really good. Even my husband who don't normally enjoy jams raved about it, mostly because of the generous chunks of pineapples and the not-too-sweet smooth texture of the jam. He's already making plans to pick up the other flavours when we next pay the bakery a visit.

And we both thoroughly enjoyed the Brown Bread which is generously filled with nuts and raisins. The kids finished up the interesting looking baguette herb before any of us could have a slice of it. What a surprise!

So, I must say that the Loaf does live up to the hype we have heard so much about in the press. I am beginning to crave for the Brown Bread again ...

The one thing about the layout of the bakery is that it is rather narrow so when there's a crowd, it really isn't conducive to leisurely check out the goods before picking your choice. There was a constant muttering of "excuse me's" as I stood in the queue waiting to pay and trying to make way for other customers to pass between the shelves.

That said, the service was excellent with the staff displaying courtesy and friendly smiles. Makes for a pleasant experience overall.

I'm sure you know that this is not a paid-post. I just want to share this with you and if you enjoy good breads like me, well, it's really worth checking out the Loaf if you happen to be at the Pavilion, or in Langkawi where the flagship shop is located.

Have a good week!

6 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

I was there on Tuesday and they must have had a bad day in the kitchen - the breads looked burnt. Will go and give them another try since you mentioned it tastes good.

8/10/07 20:43  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Hello there! I'm a fan of your blog so your dropping a comment here is rather flattering, heheh!

By the way, the Brown Bread does look a shade dark and burnt-like but there's no burnt taste to it at all. In fact, it's really chewy and dense, the way I like them.

I certainly hope the kitchen staff ain't churning out "mood-of-the-day" breads. LOL!!

8/10/07 20:51  
Blogger zewt said...

did u check out the J Co donuts? the craze is incredible.

9/10/07 22:01  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Yeah Zewt, I heard so much about it but unfortunately, I am not a donut fan because I find them way too sweet.

9/10/07 22:13  
Blogger Helen said...

I enjoyed their Langkawi place. :-)

I'm happy to know The Loaf is now opened in Pavillion. :-)

10/10/07 12:44  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Maybe one fine day I'd spy you there hanging on to a last baguette, eh Helen? LOL

10/10/07 15:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!