Sunday, October 28, 2007

Is this what public funds are meant for?

This morning, I was heading to Allson Klana Resort for an appointment and I cannot help but notice an election-like feel to this sleepy town.

All the way from the town centre to the hotel, UMNO flags have been planted on both sides of the roads. And a whole lot more fluttered inside the compound of the hotel.

In case you are not aware, this hotel is now owned by Negeri Sembilan's very own latest private entity, Menteri Besar Incorporated.

At first I assumed it has something to do with an UMNO gathering of sorts. A pre-election gathering of the faithful?

But no.

I was told the hotel was closed to the public in order to host the 2007 National Agricultural Convention from 27-28 October.

I could see tents covering most of the open-air car park and banquet tables laid out in preparation for (I believe) a grand feast for the invited guests.

I wonder why a National Agricultural Convention should be so closedly tied to a political party. I mean, who foots the bill? And who gets all these free publicity so close to election time? And who are all these people who get the privilege to attend and be treated to free dinner anyway?

And, given all these UMNO flags flying around, I wonder what the theme of the speeches will be? The latest agriculture technology?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Hahahha this reminded me once hubby and I came across a sign on a newly built road.. It said.. "this road is built by BN."

WTF? It's a public road for Christ sake. It's the people's money. Someone is saja taking credit.

28/10/07 22:49  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Yes Helen, I too concur with your WTF feeling.

All these flag-waving coupled with Nazri's arrogant interview published in NST yesterday, you get the feeling that UMNO is already celebrating another election-win ahead of time.

29/10/07 12:51  
Blogger Maverick SM said...

I have been to Allson klana too. It's lousy place.


Ya, election coming oh!!!

30/10/07 14:22  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Haha Mave - if you think it's lousy then, you can imagine what the hotel's going to be like, being run by a bunch of govt servants now.

Pretty soon, it'll be another Hotel Seri Malaysia only with more garden space.

Yeah - I'm also itching to vote. lol!

30/10/07 17:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!