Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Salad day

I'm making a salad lunch for the kids today, as a surprise.

I always enjoy seeing their faces brighten up when they come back from a tired day at school to find that their lunch is not the usual rice/noodles/porridge.

I've also got them each a slice of J's favourite chocolate walnut brownies from Secret Recipe for their dessert and there's Magnolia Tropical Sling Jolly ice lollies in the freezer. If they want more, I'll whip up a fresh strawberries lassi. It really doesn't take much to make my kids happy.

I'm making an apple-potato-egg salad today.











Boil the potatoes and eggs and let it cool. Chop up some parsley. You'll need some green apples, ground black pepper and mayonnaise.










Cut the potatoes, eggs and apples into small squares. I decided to add in some coarsely grated carrots for added nutrition as well as colour to the salad.










Put all the chopped ingredients (except eggs) into a mixing bowl. Add two big dollops of mayonnaise, shake in some black pepper and mix well.










Add the eggs and mix it all in carefully.
I decided to throw in a handful of raisins although J hates them. But her little brother likes raisins and I guess, being the picky eater that she is, J is bound to pick them all out. And maybe the bits of carrots as well if she's particularly fussy today. I hope not. :-)











There you go. Lovely, isn't it?

The kids should be back soon. There's some pretty ripe bananas sitting in the kitchen. Should I make them banana milkshakes or banana cake? Hmmm ...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger PabloPabla said...

Definitely lovely. And kinda fattening too with the mayo. LOL! :)

11/4/07 14:04  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Ha! Some fats are good for growing brains, Pablo! :-)

11/4/07 18:28  
Blogger H J Angus said...

cik amoi
Please pass some salad here!Am sure your kids were pleasantly surprised. Nothing like Mum's cooking.

Haha .... turning into a foodie blog. thought that was pablopabla's thing.

11/4/07 21:17  
Blogger Arena Green said...

I'm charting new routines in my life and I guess it's showing up here, HJ. No prizes for guessing what it is though. :-)

11/4/07 21:47  
Blogger zewt said...

hmmm.... eggs... cant do that for now... have to wait till vege days over...

12/4/07 17:36  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Nice to see that you crave for normality, Zewt. Cheers!

12/4/07 20:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!