Friday, January 19, 2007

A weird (but safe) topic

Ah -- Mave tagged me because he must think I have weird stuff hidden under my cloak of anonymity. Truth is ... he is not all wrong, heheh ;P

Do I have 6 weird things about me which I want to share with all of you? I have a hard time coming up with 6. I mean, how do I whittle down more than 50 weird stuff about me down to JUST 6?? That's SOOOOO not fair!!

In a way, we are all weird (to others), aren't we? So, before I start on myself, I'd like to comment on one of Mave's weirdness here because I think I'm entitled to do this considering he made me do this.

Mave says he likes to sleep on the plane, giving all the delicious airline food a miss in favour of his beauty sleep. THAT'S WEIRD!!

How can one continue to sleep in bliss with all those smells of chicken, beef or fish wafting through your nose and the slurping and sipping going on left, right, front & back of you? I tried many times to sleep through mealtimes on a night flight but I have yet to discover the secret on how to turn off my nose. Maybe Mave can give me a few tips. Heck, I WANT THOSE TIPS! I'll have him to thank for an eyebagless face on arrival if I nail this one.

Now, about my own weirdness, I'll let you be the judge. Do you think it is weird to buy a favourite T-shirt in 5 different colours? Or 3 pairs of the same shoes and pants in different colours? If this qualifies, than it becomes my #1 item for weirdness. Yeah, I do that, quite often. In fact, I just bought a very comfortable pair of slacks in black and went back to the shop for 2 more pairs in brown and beige last week. Thank GOD men don't come in the same mould but different colours, or else, my husband will be in trouble(!).

#2, I don't watch television. Maybe once a month, or once every two months. Which is the most ideal arrangement for the little TV addicts at home. But I did get caught up in last year's run-up to the American Idol finals. That was an exception. Maybe I'll allow for another exception this year. It wasn't always this way, you know. I was a TV addict when I was in school. Somehow, watching TV is a good excuse not to do homework. Now that I don't have homework, the idiot box lost all appeal to me.

#3, I sincerely think the radio is the best medium for getting all kinds of music you like to hear for FREE. Okay, call me a cheapskate 'cos my girl J thinks I'm WEIRD whenever I give her this excuse for not indulging her taste for expensive CDs. She thinks I'm weirder still when I suggested that I'd trade the CD for a book of her choice for the same price.

#4 on my weirdo list is that I read anything and everything, including food labels. If I'm not driving, sleeping, talking or indulging in social activities which preclude reading, I am probably holding a newspaper or book in hand, or reading on-line. But the weird thing is, I'm not very good at retaining information. My memory bank is highly selective and sometimes, it fails me at the most inappropriate times. Which makes people think I am weird because I cannot remember their names or faces even though they DO look so familiar and I'm reduced to giving them a blank grin to hide my embarassment.

For someone who doesn't watch TV at home, I go to the movies quite often. Does that count for weirdness #5? I LOVE going to the movies, from watching the action on big screen right down to the hotdogs and popcorn, the comfy seats, -- yeah, the whole experience of immersing oneself in a make-believe world in a darkened theatre, sharing the spills and thrills with a hundred other strangers.

And weirder still, if I like it enough, I even watch it repeatedly like what I did for the LOTR series. And bought the DVD box-set as well. Of course, I had read the book way before the movie was made. Yeah, sometimes, I do buy the book AFTER I've watched the movie, like I did for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But that's another story.

I'm coming to the last one. Aren't you glad? Because I too am getting tired of talking about myself.

Yeah, I'm one of the few weird ones who doesn't like to talk about myself. Unless I'm drunk*.

You guessed it right about this post. I've had a few drinks* before I started on this, just so I can get it over and done with, considering how busy I have been over the past few days. In fact, I should say how lousy it has been over the past few days. Thankfully, Mave tagged me to do this nonsensical post. Writing about such weird stuff somehow relaxed me and I'm now all ready for a good weekend. Plus I've updated this blog talking about something which is non-offensive to others thus not likely to invite trouble of the litigious kind. How weird ...

Well, I hope all of you have a good weekend too! Cheers :D

*To be taken shaken not stirred, with a pinch of salt.


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

LOL Maybe you need a few more drinks??? *keeping fingers crossed for more dark secrets to come out* lol

Yes, there's some weird stuffs there. Hey, maybe you should do more movie reviews now that everything is so 'sensitive.' :-P

19/1/07 15:26  
Blogger Maverick SM said...

Hahahaha...Now I know someone is more weird than me...don't watch TV but crave for movies????Hahahaha...

Sleeping on the plane or in the car? You must learn; otherwise, you get eye-marks!!!

The trick? Keeping telling yourself that if you don't sleep now, you will lose it forever and ever - it's something that we can't afford to lose.

Eh, it's good to depart from political issues to a world of weirdness.

19/1/07 17:30  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Helen m'dear, some secrets are best left hidden under the skirt, eh? LOL

I'm no good at movie reviews or even book reviews becoz I'm too biased. I might get "sued" by certain worms ;P

***

Yalor Mave, I win hands down this time (for cracking you up, at least!).

Actually I don't watch TV for the simple reason I find it hard to remain undistracted by household demands to really enjoy what's offered. Which is why being "trapped" in a darkened cinema suits me just fine (even the handphone gets switched off!).

You must have learned how to hypnotize yourself to be able to "switch" on & off on demand. This I truly salute you!!! :D

19/1/07 18:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowzerz! u too a DVD-repeat-addict~~me am the same..have watched MATRIX (1,2,3..) countless times....maybe keanu had something to do with it:D

go shopaholic ;D MNG is having SALE~~~can buy those tops in diff colours :D MNG ROCKERz...

:D enjoy ze weekend :D

21/1/07 04:42  
Blogger chong y l said...

am:
i share wan wierd trait wth fella furongknight ~~
"Yeah, I'm one of the few weird ones who doesn't like to talk about myself. Unless I'm drunk*."

*DEsi's cometh from Hari-hari does it (No everydiemilk butt sv lembu susu yes! tehtolak!~~ Desi

PS: I'm ccok-I-I, so many dimes do WV wan -- sext time I won't come hear no amore:(

I think oso journo's habit. You should consider 4th estate as a career change, r you're o'lady living IT UP in a small house in Sg Ujong, by the Ribber Bayilon (how bruddr mave would sperr IT:)

22/1/07 11:21  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Thanks for the tip, Freelunch2020!! Yeah, MNG RAWKS :D KEANU 2!!

Desi, DEsi, why no weird unravellings from u?? Or r u drowning ur sorrows in bucketfuls of tehC down by Sg. Temiang? I'm lamenting the fact that I shud be shaking legs in RSUC instead of trying to keep my head abv deep deep waters of overdue dues. :(

23/1/07 20:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let the on-flight food fools you, only taste of the liquor/beer are worthy. Across the timezone, better force yourself to sleep in order to adjust for the timezone different.

25/1/07 14:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!