Sunday, September 10, 2006

Kam's latest take on local politics

I enjoy the witty writings of Kam Raslan and whenever he appears in the Talking Edge column (Options pullout, The Edge Malaysia), it becomes a bonus read for me.

An example of why I find him interesting is in the agony guru role he took on in the September 11 issue of this weekly. This is his take on the state of local politics and the quandary that's before us. (I have highlighted my favourite part!)

********************

A reader asks:

Dear Kam, What are the important issues facing our country and why aren't they being addressed? Citizen Lee.

Kam answered thus:

I have nine questions that I want to ask. I don't know who to address these to so you lot will have to do.

  1. Do we want a continuation of the old ways or do we want a continuation of the old ways but with some new faces?
  2. Do we want a meritocracy or shall we have a tea break?
  3. Is our present education system good enough for a globalised 21st centure and why not?
  4. What do the letters MCA stand for? Seriously, what do they stand for? I've forgotten. Can anyone remember? Reading what some people are saying about MCA, I get the distinct impression that it must be an opposition party although I have a vague memory that it was once part of BN.
  5. Who is Khairy? Seriously, who is he? In the words of Monty Python, I didn't vote for him.
  6. Can anybody think of anything that won't make Umno members angry?
  7. Taliban, Saudi Arabia or Iran? They're all such tempting economic and social models.
  8. Who will speak for all those (particularly those inside the Malay community) who are not especially thrilled by the abovementioned choice, and why not?
  9. Australia, New Zealand, UK or America? Choices, choices.
But don't worry because Umno will take care of everything because, well, because.






Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Maverick SM said...

I didn't read that piece. Sounds interesting but...no one to address the questions posed. Sad@!==

10/9/06 17:17  
Blogger Walski69 said...

I stopped reading printed newspapers quite a while back... so didn't catch this article. Good one tho... particularly the part about who speaks on behalf of the un-Malay-like Malays (of which I consider myself one of)...

From a political point of view (my own), UMNO's too anachronistic - good for another time, but not the now; PAS is, well, PAS; and I really think PKR is another UMNO in drag... I'm actually more likely to support those traditionally non-Malay parties. At least DAP stands for something, and their politicians a committed bunch...

Oh well...

10/9/06 22:20  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very good points.

11/9/06 00:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this Kam guy already...

11/9/06 16:06  
Blogger Arena Green said...

Glad you guys find this piece interesting. And I find Walski's description of PKR hilarious - Umno in drag?? Yeah!

Kam's take on KL traffic is also ingenious. Will post it when I got nothing to write about.

Right now, got lots to say but Streamyx is sabotaging me again. :(

11/9/06 18:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!