Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Marina says what?

I read Marina's Musing column on page T18 of The Star today, titled "Limitations on speech".

I can symphatise with her when she said that she is at a loss as to what to write these days. Of course, she probably has more stress to come up with something each week considering that she's being paid for it.

Bloggers like us, who write for non-monetary reasons, feel even more depressed when we realise that what we do can get us into trouble by a mere slip of the fingers on our keyboard. That is why every now and then, we talk about going into "hiatus" simply because we are rather "sien" about the whole thing.

But we always come back in double quick time, eh? Talk about tortured minds!

Anyway, I like the following observations she made (the bold highlights are mine):-

"... But now I don't know what to write about. I had wanted to write about how the environment in our local schools is turning out little racists (including my daughter) but I guess I can't because that's sensitive.

I thought also of writing about how I've become addicted to reading blogs recently but then lately, the Internet and the blogosphere particularly have been deemed seething hellholes of lies and misinformation so I can't talk about that either, at least not in the bastion of truthfulness, the mainstream media.

I'd like to talk about my religion and how self-appointed defenders have painted it as one that so lacks compassion, ignores justice and fairness and promotes inequalities between men and women and between those professing it and those not.

But then some people have cited me as one of those who really should not be allowed to talk because apparently I give the country a bad name.

I guess people who storm forums, write untruths, scream and shout at people with different opinions give a better image of our beloved country. So I can't talk about this either.

So what can I talk about? ... Should I migrate to the cyberworld?

But then, writing my column online would be like waving a red flag to all the keyboard-happy-can't-think-of-anything-nice-to-say-about-anyone lot out there and I really would rather not have a life more stressed than it is already. ..."

********************

Uh-oh Marina.

I have a lot of respect for you, but, I think it was not so nice of you to accuse bloggers like us as a bunch of "keyboard-happy-can't-think-of-anything-nice-to-say" lot.

Are we really that bad?

But I suppose, if we want to write feel-good stuff all the time, bloggers like me would change our subject focus and start telling raunchy jokes. Everyone likes a good laugh, don't they?

Now, that's certainly food for thought.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Fashionasia said...

i think what she ment was those ppl who go around leaving crappy comments la...neh..the type that never have anything good to say and leave poo in your very own garden type......I think she's not refering to all bloggers in general

9/8/06 11:42  
Blogger Arena Green said...

I suppose you could be right Ms Fashion. You're such a nice person and I agree Ms Marina could be thinking like you and not as what I implied.

For that, I'd like to apologize to Marina if my statement of misunderstanding offended her. She is one of my favourite columnist partly because she writes so well and in such a readable style.

I admit I jumped the gun too quick this time around. But I'll let this article stand for the rest of the stuff I like about what she said.

9/8/06 15:16  
Blogger Maverick SM said...

Marina is the name that influence my decision to blog. I love reading her musing and it's the real world that she is prepared to pen; not the asshole ministers who are power crazy and who would crush the public at all cost in order to satisfy their own ambition and pockets.

9/8/06 21:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!